2009. április 14., kedd

"I bless the rains down in Africa..."



Last night I turned on TV and I was looking for an enjoyable programme which is rare nowadays.. That's why I was surprised when I found something eye-catching. It was a film, the scene was obviously shot in Africa and I saw a black man and a white woman.

It was familiar to me but for a moment I had to stop and think why. After some moments of thinking I could recall my imaginations about the scenes of a book I have read some years ago. Unfortunately I don't really have time to read but that was different. I guess it was about two years ago in summer, when I found the book on my parents' bookshelves, which is called The white Masai written by Corinne Hofmann.

Corinne Hofmann is a Swiss writer and she wrote this book to tell about her adventures in Africa. I really liked it because it shows the reader an entirely other society and way of life. The story in a nutshell: Corinne goes to Africa and she falls in love with a Masai 'fighter'. She goes back to Switzerland, brakes up with his boyfriend and gives up everything she has at home, to change her life in Africa. She gets married to the Masai man and she lives there with the Masai tribe. She experiences all the good and bad sides of living in Kenya. They also have a baby and Corinne keeps on fighting for acceptance and to make Masai people's life easier.

It is fascinating to read about the rituals, habits they have. I wondered whether I could put up with these things or not. I think I couldn't but it would be a good trial to get to know myself and my limits better. I have always wanted to visit Africa and I am sure one day I will go there. My father travelled there some years ago. He and some friends decided to climb the mountain Kilimanjaro. Not too ordinary, is it? :D Anyway after he came back I think something has changed. I mean after that 'trip' he became a fan of everything about Africa. I guess it had a deep impression on him and I think it is no wonder.


So yesterday I realised soon, that I was watching the film which was based on this book and it was surprising because I haven't heard of the film version yet. I imagined almost everything the way it was shown in the film. I can recommend this book for everyone because it is such an experience and very interesting. Here is a picture and also a song which is rather known nowadays by Karl Wolf :)



3 megjegyzés:

Sir Gabrie írta...

to tell you the truth I'm not really into romantic stories, but maybe I'll read the book sometime - because of Africa :)

Kati írta...

Once I bumped into that book in Alexandra bookstore. I am sure that I gonna read it in the summer.
I love Karl Wolf's song!!!!

Unknown írta...

I am not :) sure what's rare these days: enjoyable TV programs or the times when you look for them?