2009. február 17., kedd

The last week when snow is required



I usually don't like January and February but this year it was different.I spent most of January at home and I was really busy, busy with having fun. It was a bit hard when school started again but it's OK now.

Last week was fantastic. I love skiing and unfortunately I couldn't go last year so now I took the chance, though it was already school time. We were in Italy with a big group of people, most of them were familiar but I made new friends too. For example a 14-year-old girl. We shared the same room by chance. As it turned out she is from Pécs and she knows my cousin too. The weather was great, the sun was shining all week and we had a great time. Sometimes skiing felt like flying. I love it!


The only windy, cloudy and cold morning was on Tuesday. We spent about an hour up but most of it in the pub. Then I decided to go down to the town with 2 of my friends. Our accommodation was there some years ago, so I knew the place but I forget that we stayed in another village this time. So it wasn't sure that the bus will take us 'home'. As I realised this, we were already on our way down so I couldn't do anything. We got down and we went out to the bus stop. There were no buses and no schedules anywhere, so I decided to ask somebody there. I went into a hotel, a bar, a ski rental service, a shop and a bakery. Guess what? No one spoke English!!!! (we didn't dare to try German or French, it was unnecessary) I was very upset. All of them were shaking their heads and staring at me like I was asking for a gun or I don't know... That was annoying. And this happened again the same evening when we went to a restaurant. "-Do you speak English?" the waiter was laughing and said 'No'. I don't really understand it. I think it's a basic thing to speak at least one foreign language nowadays, even if you live in Italy, French or Germany... Whatever... We met a Danish man who was really helpful, and we found the bus we were looking for.

That was the only bad impression I had last week. We arrived home on Sunday and it was really hard to get back to weekdays. I was a bit confused and I missed classes so I had many things to do. I am working on them and hope that the weather will turn warm really soon cause I've had enough of snow and dark rainy days. That's all for today. I wish everyone a pleasurable spring semester!

3 megjegyzés:

Unknown írta...

That must have been awesome, the feeling of flying as you came down the slopes. Skiing in Italy -- can't think of many more exciting ways of making a holiday.

Kati írta...

I can understand what you felt when you realised that nobody could speak English around you. I experienced the same at Lake Balaton where I was working. There were some people from Russia or from somewhere else and they couldn't speak neither English nor German. It was really disappointed, too. So you're not alone. It's a shame that people cannot speak at least one foreign language.

Sir Gabrie írta...

it's even worse,when the person you ask speaks a little English,but doesn't understand you,and s/he thinks you are stupid.It happened to me once