2008. október 14., kedd

England's Rose

New task: choosing a song and writing about it. Really good idea! I have been thinking what I should choose. Maybe it should be my favourite song but I realized that I don't have an exact one: so I've chosen a song which is not my favourite and I don't listen to it very often. I find it beautiful though the topic is not really happy.

This song is called 'Candle in the Wind' by Elton John. Written for the funeral of Lady Diana, Princess of Wales and released in 1997, the song peaked at number one in the United Kingdom, becoming John's fourth number one single. It also peaked at number one in most other countries. The Guinness Book of Records 2007 states that "Candle In the Wind 1997" is the biggest selling single "since records began".

It is of course a sad song but I think beautiful at the same time. Diana was definitely a great woman and the song reflects it. Let me quote my favourite lines:

"And your footsteps will always fall here
Along England's greenest hills
Your candle's burned out long before
Your legend ever will"

I also like this song because of the piano. It is well-known that Elton John is a great piano player. Wanna watch the video?


/with a wonderful German subtitle :) /

3 megjegyzés:

Unknown írta...
Ezt a megjegyzést eltávolította a szerző.
Unknown írta...

That's surely a nice track. But I am not sure Sir Elton John really wrote it for the funeral. I may be wrong, but last time I heard about the story of "Candle in the Wind," I think they said it was in memory of Marilyn Monroe.

Maybe you will write about another song, too?

Nóry írta...

Actually you are right.It was originally written in 1973, in honour of Marilyn Monroe, who had died 11 years earlier. Elton John performed a remake of the song in 1997 for Diana's funeral. To answer the other question, yes I definitely will write about another songs. :)