2008. október 26., vasárnap

Auld Lang Syne

Here I am again, it is Sunday afternoon and I am packing again. This is the first time that I go to Pécs on Sunday because I usually go on Monday. The autumn break was good and relaxing for me.

As the weather is getting colder and the afternoons are getting darker we are getting closer to Christmas :) Ok, I know it is not so close yet but if we visit some supermarkets we could think it is already December. Some days ago I was reading one of the advertising papers and I found chocolate Santas all around it. I told mum to give me the latest one because it must be from last year. She was smiling and said that it is the newest one, if I don't believe I can check the date. She was right and I was shocked. So if you can't wait until the 6th of December you can buy chocolate Santas immediately!

Anyway I don't really have problems with this time of the year. Ok, I am not very keen on rainy weather but I love the colours of the leafs and I like wearing coat,scarf and gloves. Though I was born in August I couldn't say that I like summer the most because December has always been a glamorous month for me. Christmas, New Year's Eve, they can never be boring... But in every year there was something extra, something special about December.

I love Christmas songs and I am always looking for new ones. My latest finding is called 'Auld Lang Syne'. I have heard this song for the first time (at least I thought so) in the movie, Sex and The City. It was really good and all of my friends liked it but no one knew it. I was listening to the lyrics but it was really hard to understand so I gave up. This week I had plenty of time and was surfing on the internet and I found it on youtube. There are a lot of versions and I realised why I just couldn't understand the lyrics. Auld Lang Syne is a Scottish expression which means good old times in English.

As I mentioned there were many versions so I chose a faster one. It was a good decision because I realised that I know this song in Hungarian too! It is called 'Régi dal' and at secondary school we all sang this song on the school leaving ceremonies for the graduating class members. Then came another surprise, Auld Lang Syne is known in English speaking countries as a Christmas song or they sing it at New Year's Eve. That was very surprising for me.
So my Christmas-song-assortment is enriched with a new one and I am glad about it! :)
Here are some versions for those who are interested:





Popular, isn't it? :)

Take care ;)

2 megjegyzés:

Ömböli Krisztián írta...

Maybe a few years later they'll put the Christmas trees in the shopping malls like... in September... or August... :D I really don't like this kind of 'advertisement'... You know what I mean... But the song is really good! (I know this one... :) )

Nóry írta...

Yeah maybe, that would be funny and sad at the same time but you never know what comes... (: